What's New at The Cutter!
Please join us for a roof raising community celebration and ice cream social on Sunday, August 25, 2019 from 5 to 7 p.m. Free to all, ice cream cups with traditional toppings plus root beer floats will be served starting at 5 p.m. There will be a brief program and recognition starting at 5:45 p.m.
Our cedar shingled roof began showing weather wear and started leaking a few years back. The community rallied with fundraising to literally raze the roof and replace it. But a new roof on an old building is expensive. A generous donation from Teck mine (promised and fulfilled before its recent closure) gave much needed matching funds to help us qualify for a grant from the Washington State Historical Society. When the Washington State legislature approved the Heritage Capital Projects Fund budget, that grant put us over the top and the roofing work began.
The Cutter Theatre is an architecturally stunning historic building in Metaline Falls, WA. Built in 1912 as a school for the flourishing town, is was saved from demolition and fully restored in the 1990’s. Today it serves as a theatre, event venue, community center, small business incubator, art gallery, and meeting space.
Please call 509-446-4108 or email email@example.com to find out more.
The Cutter Theatre is a non-profit performing arts center that for twenty-one years has brought quality visual and performing arts to the Inland Northwest. On the National Register of Historic Places, the 1912 building was originally designed by architect Kirtland Cutter as The Metaline Falls School. It served in that capacity until 1972, then as the Selkirk School District office. After being retired from use the building remained unheated for well-more than a decade suffering catastrophic decline as a result.
In 1990 Eva Gayle and Al Six of Ione, Van Whysong, Erin Kinney, Dave Daniel and a host of other educators, their partners, children and volunteers from Metaline Falls and the surrounding region championed the building's return to glory. These individuals, organized since 1987 as a nonprofit performing arts group, went about the task of purchasing the building. In the first year of restoration over 14,000 hours, most by volunteers were tallied. The theatre company and the former gymnasium within the school were officially named The Cutter Theatre in 1991. It was truly by community Will that the Cutter Theatre was born.
In the twenty-one years since the first performance the community has continued to sustain the Cutter Theatre by lending considerable time and energies volunteering and supporting programs financially. We're humbled by the generosity of Cutter Theatre patrons and the Cast of Volunteers who see to it everything runs smoothly.
By operational efficiency and retaining the excellent volunteers and staff we now enjoy, we will continue to bring visual and performing arts to the region; even in this dire economy. This is how we both honor and further the work of those who came before.
We welcome you to join us.